Mini Cherry Rhubarb Cobblers
- 1 pound sweet cherries, pitted & halved
- 12 ounces rhubarb, trimmed, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 18 pieces
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Make the filling: In a small bowl stir together the sugar, cornstarch, ginger and cinnamon until well mixed.
- Place the cherries and rhubarb into a large bowl, sprinkle over with the mixed dry ingredients and stir well. Add vanilla and lemon juice, stir well. While making the topping, stir every few minutes.
- Make the topping: Put the flour, cardamom, sugar, baking powder, salt and ginger into a food processor. Pulse to blend. Sprinkle the butter pieces over the top, then continue to pulse until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Drizzle in the milk and cream and continue to pulse until it forms moist clumps. Turn out onto a very lightly floured board. Cut into small pieces and shape each into a rough ball.
- Assemble the dish: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the fruit and any juices evenly into each of 3 or 6 baking dishes. Top with the prepared dough balls. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar if desired. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes (if making 6) or 25-30 minutes (if making 3) or until the topping is golden and fruit bubbling.
- Cool the cobbler for at least 20 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.