Mini Chocolate Espresso Eclairs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, in slices
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons bread or all-purpose flour*
- 4 large eggs + 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 packages (3.5 oz each) 60% cocoa mass chocolate (for a total of 7 oz chocolate)
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Chocolate Ganache or Sauce
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a saucepan large enough to hold all the ingredients bring milk, water, salt, sugar and butter to a boil.
- Remove boiling mixture from heat source and rapidly stir in flour with a wooden spatula or heat resistant rubber spatula.
- Return mixture to the heat source and stir over heat for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture forms a ball and leaves a dough type of film on bottom of pan.
- Remove from heat. Incorporating eggs can be done using a stand mixer or hand held mixer. Either drop batter in a mixer bowl fitted with the paddle attachment or in a regular bowl.
- Mix in eggs and egg white one at a time waiting for the previous added egg to be fully incorporated. Mix until the mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a pastry tube with an approximately diameter of 1/4 inch , pipe batter into 2.5 inch long tubes on parchment or buttered and floured cookie sheets. Allow approximately 1 inch space between each piped éclair.
- Bake at 375° F until very dry and crisp and deep golden. Do not underbake as this will cause the éclairs to collapse. When you believe they are done, take one éclair out the oven and feel the sides, it should feel crisp. Let sit for a 3-4 minutes, if it does not collapse, remove the others from the oven. Let cool. Éclairs can be frozen unfilled.
- For chocolate espresso cream: Mix gelatin in water and set aside.
- Chop chocolate in small pieces and place in a microwave oven proof bowl. Heat in 10 second increments and stir in between heating. Continue until chocolate has reached 107F (average shower temperature).
- Heat milk near boiling point in microwave oven. Stir in gelatin mixture and instant coffee.
- Pour half of hot milk-gelatin mixture into melted chocolate and whisk until well combined. Add remaining amount of milk and whisk smooth.
- Pour in cold heavy cream and whisk until well combined and cream is smooth. An immersion (stick) blender can also be used to ensure a very smooth cream. Place in refrigerator until set, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile prepare chocolate sauce and set aside.
- Using a paring knife, twist a small hole on the end of each mini éclair.
- Place chocolate espresso filling in a pastry bag fitted with a small round pastry tube and fill éclairs.
- Dip éclairs into warm chocolate sauce and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.