Mini Cupcake Bookworms
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1/3 cup milk, room temperature
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup cake flour*
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened but still cool, cut into 4 pieces
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Neon or plain green food coloring
- 2 ounces black candy clay or fondant
- 1 ounce white candy clay or fondant
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 30 mini muffin tin cavities with paper cups. Set aside.
- Whisk together the milk, egg whites, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Begin to beat dry ingredients using a hand-held mixer on low speed.
- Add butter one piece at a time, beating until there are moist crumbs with no chunks of butter remaining.
- Add milk mixture and beat on medium speed for about 1 1/2 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Scrape down sides of bowl and beat on medium speed for another 15-20 seconds until smooth.
- Fill each mini muffin cup about 2/3 full with cake batter.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes until a cupcake springs back when touched or a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove and allow to cool completely.
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar. vanilla, lemon extract, and pinch of salt and beat for at least 2 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add 1 tablespoon of milk and drops of green food coloring and beat until well combined and colored to your liking.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting over each mini cupcake.
- Roll black and white candy clay out on a silicone mat or on a powdered sugar dusted counter top.
- Cut (12) 1 1/4-inch round circles from black candy clay for bookworm’s glasses.
- Cut a small arch that will fit in between 2 of the candy circles.
- Lightly brush water over ends of arch and press onto black candy clay circles to create the bookworm’s glasses.
- Cut 12 smaller, 3/4-inch, circles out of white candy clay.
- Cut (12) 1/4-inch circles out of black candy clay for pupils.
- Lightly brush water on one side of white circle and press that side down onto a black circle.
- Attach a small black pupil to the white eyes also using water.
- Cut a small curved smile out of black candy clay for each worm.
- Arrange 6 mini cupcakes into a curved bookworm.
- Press a pair of glasses and a smile onto the head of each bookworm.