Mini Lemon Lavender Tarts
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 7/8 cups + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
Meringue Kisses (optional)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup + 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Lavender Lemon Curd
- 2 large eggs + 1 large egg white
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut in slices
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender (culinary use)
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust mix butter and powdered sugar until well blended. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add salt and vanilla.
- Add flour in one step and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Press dough evenly flat onto a sheet of plastic food film. Place dough in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Meanwhile chill work surface area that you will be rolling dough on by placing 1-2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on area. Set aside a mini muffin tin.
- Dough is easiest to handle when rolled on lightly floured parchment paper. However, a floured countertop will work as well.
- Roll dough slightly thinner than 1/8 inch. Cut circles large enough to fill entire indention in mini muffin tin.
- Line 24 indentions. If dough gets sticky transfer to fridge or freezer for a few minutes.
- Prick bottom of shells with a fork and place in oven. Bake until light golden, about 15-18 minutes. Once cool enough to handle remove from pan.
- For meringue kisses, in an immaculately clean bowl whip egg whites with 1/3 cup sugar to stiff peaks. Add vanilla.
- Stop whipping and gently fold in remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Using a small piping tip pipe kisses on parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in a 190°F oven for 90 minutes or until thoroughly crisp throughout. Total baking time can be up to 2 hours.
- Curd is made very quickly in a microwave oven. Select a large bowl as curd will rise high during heating in microwave oven. Mix eggs and egg white using a whisk until completely smooth, and no egg white strings are visible.
- Add a small amount of sugar and whisk quickly. Add remaining sugar and lemon juice and whisk to combine. Add butter slices and lavender.
- Place in microwave oven in 45 second increments. Whisk well in between.
- Curd will take about 5 minutes using a standard microwave and curd will have visibly thickened and read about 190°F on a thermometer.
- Allow lavender to infuse for another 5 minutes covered with plastic food wrap.
- Pour curd through strainer to remove lavender.
- Fill curd in pre-baked cups and place in refrigerator. Tarts freeze very well for later consumption.
- Decorate with baked meringue and dried lavender.