Mini Skillet Berry Cobbler
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice*
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Dixie Crystals Sugar Gold ‘N Natural Turbinado Sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add 3 tablespoons of butter to both mini cast iron skillets and place into oven to melt.
- While butter is melting, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Add milk and stir until just combined.
- Stir berries with flour, lemon juice, and sugar.
- Once butter is nice and bubbly, remove skillets from the oven. Evenly divide batter among each skillet, and top with berry filling mixture. Bake for 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and center of cobbler is no longer raw.
- Sprinkle turbinado, optional.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, optional.
Dixie Crystals Insight
- If using frozen berries, thaw completely and drain. Blot dry with a paper towel before using.
- Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Aimee Broussard @SouthernFromScratch.