Mint Chocolate Tres Leches
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup half and half
- Optional: 1/4 cup mint liquor
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Crème Chantilly
- Crushed peppermints, as desired
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Generously butter and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Separate eggs ensuring that no yolk traces enter egg whites.
- Blend and thoroughly sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to handle all ingredients whip egg yolks until smooth. Add 2/3 cup sugar and whip until mixture is very thick and pale in color, about 3-4 minutes. Add vanilla and milk, and mix until just combined. Set aside.
- Immediately whip egg whites using clean whip attachment in a separate bowl along with 1/3 cup sugar. Whip to medium-firm peaks.
- Using a rubber spatula gently fold 1/3 of whipped egg whites into egg yolk mixture.
- Delicately fold in half of sifted ingredients. Once combined fold in another 1/3 of whipped egg whites.
- Fold in remaining dry ingredients followed by whipped egg whites.
- Scrape into prepared pan and place in oven. Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 23-25 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk together evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, half and half, mint liquor, and mint extract.
- Poke holes over entire surface of cake using a fork. Pour milks evenly over cake and allow to be completely absorbed.
- Top with creme chantilly and crushed peppermints.
- Cake is best when refrigerated overnight.