Mint Chocolate Whoopie Pies
- 2 cups + 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 10 tablespoons cocoa powder (non Dutched)
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups well shaken buttermilk
Mint Buttercream Filling
- 18 spearmint gumdrop leaves
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 2-3 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt and set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together eggs, vanilla, vegetable oil, and buttermilk. Add dry ingredients and using a firm spatula mix until combined and no flour is visible. Do not over mix as this will make batter runny.
- Either use a piping bag fitted with a medium-sized plain tip or using a spoon, drop/pipe 2 tablespoon amounts onto prepared cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Place in oven and bake until center of cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 12 minutes. Let cool.
- For buttercream: Beat butter until smooth and creamy, add powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and salt and mix until light and fluffy. Mint extracts vary therefore add desired amount to your taste. Add food color.
- Pipe or spoon butter cream on one whoopie pie half and sandwich with another.
- Place a spearmint candy onto a couple of tablespoons granulated sugar. Roll flat using a rolling pin and use sugar to prevent it from sticking.
- Use a small heart shape cutter or use a heart shape stencil and a paring knife to cut small hearts. Pinch it on the bottom. Cut a stem. Arrange 3 leaves and ,stem on top of each whoopie pie to simulate a clover.