Molten Chocolate Cake
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter to coat interior of ramekins
- 8 ounces (240 grams) dark chocolate about 55% cocoa
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Generous pinch salt
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- These cakes can be made a day in advance and baked when needed, therefore, preheat oven only when ready to bake to 350°F.
- Sift flour and set aside. Brush 6 ramekins with a thin coat of melted butter and place on a cookie sheet. Set aside.
- If chocolate is in bar shape chop into chip size pieces and place in a microwave-safe bowl Cut butter into small slices and add to chocolate. Place in microwave and heat in 10-15 second increments and stir between heating. Once melted and well-combined set aside.
- In a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients whip eggs to froth. Add sugar and whip for 10 minutes until mixture has consistency of thick mousse. Add vanilla.
- Add melted chocolate mixture and stir together using a spatula. Add salt and flour. Mixture will have collapsed in volume which is normal.
- Pour or scoop mixture into prepared ramekins about 3/4 to maximum 7/8 full.
- At this stage ramekins can be covered with plastic food wrap and placed in refrigerator until ready to be baked or place in oven immediately. There is no difference in quality of outcome.
- When ready to be baked remove ramekins from fridge 45 minutes before baking.
- Place in oven and bake 14-16 minutes. Thicker walled ramekins will take 16 minutes while thinner will be done in 14. You can check with a thermometer, once interior reaches 175°F cakes can be removed from oven. Longer baked cakes will have a less molten interior.