My First Cookies
- 1 cup (2 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Basic Butter Cream Frosting
- Optional: Topping
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter until smooth, add sugar and cream further. Add eggs one at a time, add vanilla and mix until light and creamy.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Add flour in one step to creamed mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- If dough is too soft refrigerate dough briefly, otherwise, proceed and roll dough into 1-inch balls. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon and roll balls generously into cinnamon sugar.
- Place on a parchment or silicone baking mat lined or buttered cookie sheet.
- Bake until cookies become a light golden on edges, about 9-11 minutes, baking time will depend on size of cookies.
- Prepare Basic Butter Cream Frosting. You can add food coloring to frosting if you wish.
- Decorate and frost cool cookies. Top with granulated sugar and cinnamon instead of frosting if desired.
Level of Difficulty: Medium
Click here to see our 1972 TV commercial for My First Cookbook!