Neapolitan Pudding Parfaits
- 2 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped or grated
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 drops red food coloring (optional)
- Chocolate shavings, fresh fruit, or whipped cream (optional garnish)
- Pour finely chopped white chocolate into a small bowl (large enough to hold a cup of pudding).
- Pour finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate into another small bowl.
- Pour strawberry jam into a third small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Continue whisking while slowly pouring in milk and cream until cornstarch is completely dissolved.
- Vigorously whisk in egg yolks.
- Set saucepan over medium heat and whisk constantly until pudding thickens and you see large bubbles begin to form and pop, about 6-7 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 1 minute, whisking vigorously.
- Remove from heat and pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Equally divide pudding among three small bowls allowing pudding to completely cover white chocolate, semi-sweet chocolate, and strawberry jam.
- Stir strawberry jam and pudding together and stir in red food coloring, if using.
- Allow bowls of pudding and chocolate to rest for about 3 minutes then stir until melted and smooth.
- Layer chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla pudding into 4-6 small glasses or parfait cups.
- Cover with plastic wrap (placed directly on surface of pudding) and let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Chill in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings, fresh fruit, or whipped cream if desired.
NOTE: It’s important to allow pudding to come to a boil so that it thickens and stays thick once refrigerated. Vigorously stirring ingredients together once they come to a boil helps to make pudding smooth and creamy.
Recipe created for Dixie Crystals by Beth Jackson Klosterboer @Hungry Happenings.