No Bake Éclair Cake
- 1 box (408g) graham crackers
- 2 cups (480g) milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup (100g) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 tablespoons (36g) cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup (240g) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (25g) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (115g) bar dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup (120g) whipping or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Line a 9 X 13-inch pan with aluminum foil, overhanging on sides. Line with one layer (1/3 of crackers) onto bottom. Set aside.
- In a saucepan whisk together milk and egg yolks. Once well combined add sugar and cornstarch. Whisk smooth.
- Place on heat source and continuously whisk until mixture boils and makes thick bubbles. Remove cream from heat, add vanilla. Cover pan.
- Mix gelatin with water and set aside for at least 3 minutes. Add gelatin to cream above and stir to combine. Transfer to a bowl large enough to hold whipped cream below. Cover with plastic food wrap and set aside.
- In a bowl whip together whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla to medium peaks. Do not whip stiff as you would for decorating pies or cakes. Set it aside.
- Before adding whipped cream to cooked mixture, check temperature. Cooked cream should be near 80°F. If needed, place bowl over ice and stir evenly to cool it down.
- When cooked cream is about 80°F whisk it completely smooth until no lumps remain. Add 1/3 of whipped cream and gently fold together.
- Add remaining whipped cream and fold until combined.
- Spread half of cream onto graham crackers. Cover with another layer of crackers and cover with remaining cream.
- Place remaining crackers on top. Place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- For chocolate glaze cut chocolate in small pieces. Set aside. Bring cream and sugar to a boil. Remove from heat. Add chocolate and whisk smoothly.
- Pour in a cold bowl. After about 20 minutes glaze will have slightly thickened and is ready to be poured onto cake.
- Remove cake from refrigerator. Place a serving platter on the surface of cake. Flip cake upside down.
- Remove pan and foil. Pour glaze on the surface and spread evenly using an offset metal spatula.
- Using tip of spatula make a zigzag pattern into chocolate glaze.
- Cut into desired size.