Norwegian Apple Cake
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Place sliced apples into a large bowl. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and cinnamon. Stir to coat evenly. Set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment mix butter and 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar together on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add in eggs one at a time and mix until combined, scraping sides and bottom of bowl as necessary. Add baking powder and mix to incorporate.
- Turn mixer to low speed and in alternating additions, add flour and milk, beginning and ending with flour, until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- To assemble, cover bottom of prepared pan with apples. They can overlap, but you want a single layer. Top apples with cake batter and spread evenly to cover all apples. Press remaining apples into batter vertically making concentric circles in batter.
- Bake for 55- 65 minutes, or until cake is set in center and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool for 15 minutes in pan. Run a knife around edges to release from sides of pan.
- Serve warm with whipped cream, dusted with powdered sugar, or topped with ice cream.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Store at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Shelly Jaronsky @CookiesandCups.