- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons Frangelico® Liqueur
- 3/4 cup espresso
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 10 ounces mascarpone
- 1 (7-ounce) package lady fingers cookies
- 1/2 cup Nutella® + more for serving
- Dutch-process cocoa
- In a heat-proof bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, and 2 tablespoons Frangelico®.
- Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Do not let bowl touch water.
- Heat egg mixture, whisking frequently, until it reaches 160°F. Mixture will thicken and turn light yellow. Remove from heat; place in refrigerator to chill.
- While egg cream chills, make espresso. (Brew espresso or use instant espresso to make 3/4 cup.) Pour into a pie tin and whisk with remaining 1/3 cup Frangelico®. Set aside.
- Set mascarpone out for 10-15 minutes when egg cream is close to chilled. It should be cold, but not straight from refrigerator. Whip cream until stiff peaks form. Slowly whisk mascarpone into egg mixture, then fold in whipped cream. If tiramisu cream looks too runny, place in an ice bath to thicken. It will set more overnight.
- Dip lady fingers into hazelnut espresso for about 1 second per side. Line an 8 or 9-inch square pan with a layer of cookies, breaking if needed to cover. Spread half of cream over cookies.
- Spoon Nutella® into a bowl. Heat for 25 seconds at 50% power to loosen. Drizzle half of Nutella® over cream layer. Repeat layers once more – soaked ladyfingers, cream, ending with Nutella® drizzle.
- Sift Dutch-process cocoa over top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to serve, cut into nine squares. A bench scraper works well here. Use a spoon or an offset spatula to swipe a little Nutella® across each plate. Place tiramisu square on top. Sift more cocoa powder over top.