Oatmeal Apple Cookies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups currants or dried cherries
- 2 cups chopped, unpeeled apple
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Cream butter and brown sugar together until mixture is light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing each egg into butter and sugar. Mix in vanilla, currants and chopped apple. Add oats, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and chopped pecans and mix well, until everything is incorporated.
- Cover dough and place in fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes, or overnight if possible.
- When ready to bake cookies, preheat the oven to 375°F. Scoop dough by rounded teaspoons and place on a baking sheet. Bake cookies for 10 minutes until they are golden around edges.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe from 1970 Sugarplums from Sugar Land Cookbook.