Old-Fashioned Tomato Ketchup
- 2 quarts fresh or canned tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- Pour tomatoes, onion, salt, and sugar in a large pot and bring to a boil. Let mixture cook, bubbling, until thick over low/medium heat (about 1-2 hours). Remove from heat and strain out the onions and any tomato skins.
- Put mixture back on heat and add spices and vinegar. Cook mixture down until thickened and most of the liquid is gone.
- Pour into a container, let mixture cool for about 30 minutes, and then seal and place in fridge.
- If you’d like to can/preserve the ketchup, pour into hot, sterilized jars (leaving 1/2 inch headspace) and cook in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.
Dixie Crystals Insight
This vintage recipe originally appeared in the 1920 edition of Barrel Full of Imperial Recipes Cookbook. Check out all of our vintage cookbooks online.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments