One-Bowl Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained - reserve juice
- 10 maraschino cherries
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice (reserved from can)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice butter into 10 equal slices and place one slice in the bottom of each cupcake tin. Place in oven until melted (just a couple of minutes). Once melted, swirl around the edges of the cupcake pan to butter the pan.
- Equally split brown sugar in each tin, followed by the crushed pineapple. Add a cherry to the center of each tin. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add egg, pineapple juice, sour cream, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. Divide batter evenly among each muffin tin.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, or until the edges are light brown and a toothpick interested in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Invert onto a plate or cookie sheet and serve immediately (or store at room temperature until ready to serve). Garnish with whipped cream and a cherry on top when serving.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.