Orange Angel Food Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/4 cups egg whites, room temperature (70°F)
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- Grated rind of 1 small orange
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Orange Icing
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 cups sifted Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Sift flour with sugar. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine orange juice, orange zest, and cold water. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites and salt until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until mixture forms moist peaks when beater is lifted.
- Add 1 cup of sugar in 4 additions, sprinkling 1/4 cup at a time over egg whites. Beat lightly after each addition until soft peaks form.
- Fold in orange juice mixture.
- Sift in flour/sugar mixture 1/4 at a time. Fold in lightly with spoon or flat wire whisk. (It requires about 15 complete folds to blend each addition.)
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until top is light golden brown and springs back when touched.
- Remove from oven and invert pan. Allow cake to stand for 1 hour or until thoroughly cooled before removing from pan. Loosen cake from sides of pan with a small spatula or knife. Turn out on cake plate.
- Prepare orange icing: Mix all ingredients together with a fork then microwave for about 15-20 seconds for a smooth finish. Pour over top of cake and serve.