- 1 large chicken breast, fat trimmed, cut into about 1" cubes
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour*
- Zest from 1/2 Cara Cara orange
- 4 tablespoons fresh Cara Cara orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Oil for frying
- Sliced green onions to garnish, optional
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Place chicken into a small bowl. Sprinkle flour on top. Toss to coat. Set aside.
- Into separate small bowl combine orange zest, juice, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, red pepper flakes, cornstarch, sesame oil, and garlic powder. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Into a heavy bottom Dutch oven (or like) add about 2-inches of oil, heat to 350°F.
- Carefully add chicken and fry until golden. Do this in batches as to not crowd pot. Transfer chicken to a paper towel lined plate.
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add liquid ingredients and cook until thickened stirring frequently. About 1 minute.
- Add cooked chicken and toss to coat.
- Garnish with green onions if desired.
- Recommend serving over rice.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Paula Jones @bellalimento.