Orange Chocolate Macarons
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a large bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and almond flour until no lumps remain.
- Combine room temperature egg whites and pinch of salt in bowl of an electric mixer.
- Whip egg whites until white and foamy.
- Slowly add in 1/4 cup granulated sugar and increase speed to high.
- Set timer for 15 minutes and let egg whites whip on high until stiff peaks form.
- Whip in orange extract and 3-4 drops of orange gel food color.
- Using a rubber spatula gently fold almond flour/powdered sugar mixture into whipped egg whites.
- Slowly fold and mix until batter is smooth. Batter is ready when it "melts", when drizzled on top of itself.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a macaron baking mat.
- Fill a piping bag with batter, snip end.
- Pipe 1-inch circles onto baking sheet, leaving 1-inch space between each macaron.
- Tap baking sheet onto counter to remove air bubbles.
- Let macarons sit at room temperature 1 hour before baking.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until they are matte looking and dry to touch. Test 1 macaron by lifting it gently from baking sheet. If bottom tears apart, bake for 3-5 more minutes and test again.
- Remove from oven and allow macarons to cool completely on baking sheet.
- For filling, pour chocolate chips into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Add heavy cream to small sauce pan and heat on medium-high heat.
- Once cream is hot (but not boiling) remove from heat and pour over chocolate chips.
- Let sit for about 5 minutes and then stir until creamy.
- Let chocolate sit at room temperature or in fridge until firm enough to pipe into middle of cookies.
- To assemble, pair cookies based on shell size.
- Pipe filling onto half of cookies (onto flat side).
- Sandwich together to create macarons.