Orange Dreamsicle Cake
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons + 5 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen concentrated orange juice
Orange Whipped Cream
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 oranges, no white bitter pith
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter and flour sides only of two 8-inch round cake pans. Cut a piece of parchment paper and line bottom of pan and set aside. If not using parchment paper butter and flour bottom as well.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Separate eggs. Make sure no egg yolk enters egg whites as egg whites do not whip when traces of yolk are present.
- In bowl, whip egg yolks for 1 minute. Add first listed 3 tablespoons sugar and whip until mixture is light in color and makes thick ribbons, about 10 minutes. Add salt and vanilla. Set aside.
- In separate bowl whip egg whites, second listed 5 tablespoons sugar and cream of tartar on medium speed to soft medium peaks.
- Using a hand held spatula, fold whipped egg whites into whipped egg yolk mixture. Do not over fold to prevent the mixture from collapsing.
- Add half of the flour and gently fold until incorporated. Add remaining flour and combine ensuring a light mixture. Evenly divide into pans and place in oven.
- Bake until center of cake bounces back when lightly pressed with a finger or an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Turn upside down and place on a sheet of parchment paper, paper towel or kitchen towel.
- Prepare orange syrup: Bring to a full boil 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water. Remove from heat and add orange juice concentrate. Set aside.
- When cakes are cooled, using a serrated knife cut each cake in half horizontally and remove parchment. Place a cake on a serving platter.
- Using a pastry brush, (or use a spoon) moisten cake layer with 1/4 of orange syrup. The cake will be very moist.
- Prepare orange whipped cream: In a cold bowl, combine whipping cream, remaining sugar, vanilla extract, and orange zest. Whip until peaks form. Do not over whip as it would turn into butter.
- Spread slightly less than 1/4 of the whipped cream, onto the moistened cake layer.
- Place another cake layer on top and repeat with 1/4 of the moistening syrup and slightly less than 1/4 of the cream. Keep repeating until all cake layers are used.
- Decorate the surface with orange wedges and whipped cream. Keep cake refrigerated.