Orange Marmalade Upside Down Cake
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs, beaten1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 8 tablespoons orange marmalade
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 8 x 8 x 2 inch square pan with parchment paper. Spray cooking spray on top of the parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar together for 30 seconds. Scrape sides of bowl to ensure butter and sugar are well incorporated.
- On low, pour in beaten eggs then increase to medium speed. Beat for 30 seconds, then stop, scrape sides of bowl and then beat for another 20 seconds to insure eggs are fully mixed in. On low, mix in flour and milk alternating dry ingredients to wet. Be careful not to overmix.
- Spread marmalade inn bottom of prepared pan. Gently spoon batter over marmalade.
- Place cake pan inside a water bath (in a deeper baking dish with water 1/3 of way up cake pan). Cover cake pan with foil and place in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool about 5 minutes. Place a large plate on top of the baking dish, then flip cake over and let cake fall onto plate. Let it cake set for a minute allowing marmalade to fall off parchment paper. When all marmalade has fallen, remove parchment paper. Let cool for an additional 10-15 minutes then cut and serve.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on side, if desired.