Oven-Baked Rice Pudding
- 4 cups (1 quart) milk, beaten with 2 eggs
- 1/2 - 2/3 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/3 cup cooked brown or white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup seedless dark raisins, soaked in rum, brandy, or hot water for a few minutes, and drained
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg or 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Butter a 6 cup (1 1/2 quart) casserole dish.
- In prepared dish, combine and mix milk beaten with eggs, sugar, rice, and salt.
- Bake uncovered for 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Stir in raisins, return to oven, and bake for 30 minutes more. Stir in lemon juice or vanilla, nutmeg and optional cinnamon, if desired.
- Return to oven and bake for 30 minutes more, or until rice is very tender and pudding is no longer liquid.
This classic recipe first appeared in the 1988 edition of Homemade Good News Cookbook.