Overnight French Toast Casserole
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 8-12 slices of bread (depending on size of bread)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar or Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Add melted butter to a 9 x 13-inch dish and spread evenly over bottom. Layer in bread. It’s ok if they overlap, but try not to cover each slice too much.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl whisk together eggs, milk, heavy cream, maple syrup, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture over bread making sure it’s evenly saturated. Cover with foil and add to the fridge to let rest overnight.
- Shortly before baking, preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small bowl mix together granulated sugar and cinnamon. Uncover French toast and top with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until French toast is lightly toasted and fully cooked. Serve immediately with powdered sugar, fresh berries, maple syrup, etc.
This recipe was made using sliced butter bread, but a thicker bread will work great as well. It will come down to desired texture. The thinner bread is softer and thicker bread will hold its shape a little better.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.