Overnight Sweet Pickled Green Beans
- 2 1/4 cups distilled white vinegar
- 3 cups water
- 6 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 teaspoons pickling salt
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons dill seed, divided
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed, divided
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
- 8 sprigs fresh dill
- 24 ounces green beans, washed and trimmed
- Clean and sterilize 4 pint-size jars; set aside.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt into a medium-sized sauce pan. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until sugar and salt dissolve, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, place one clove of garlic, 2 sprigs of dill, 1/2 teaspoon dill seed, 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed, 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns, and an 1/8th teaspoon of crushed red pepper (if using) into each jar.
- Fill jars with the washed and trimmed green beans.
- Carefully pour cooled vinegar/water brine over green beans until the beans are fully submerged. It's okay if some of the tips aren't covered.
- Cover jars with a clean lid and ring and let them cool to room temperature on the counter for an hour or so. Transfer to the fridge where beans will keep for up to 1 month. It's normal if the beans change color.
- Beans are best if they can sit for a day or two before enjoying.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Kelley Epstein @Mountain Mama Cooks.