Pan de Elote
- 5-6 fresh corn, husks and silk removed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Non-stick cooking spray
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- With a sharp knife slice down along cob, removing kernels from cob. You will need 4 cups of corn kernels.
- Place corn in a food processor, pulse to break down corn to a creamy chunky texture.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add 1 cup sugar and egg yolks, continue mixing until well incorporated. Add corn, flour, and baking soda, mix until well incorporated.
- Whip egg whites until firm. Drop a spoonful of egg whites into corn batter, fold in gently. Continue adding egg white by spoonful, folding gently after each addition until all egg whites are completely combined into corn batter.
- Pour mixture into baking pan. Bake in oven for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 20 minutes, sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoon of sugar, slice and serve.