Parker House Rolls
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups all-purpose flour*
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- In a small saucepan, bring milk to a simmer. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in butter (cut into small squares) and sugar. Let cool.
- Dissolve yeast into warm water. Please note, water needs to be “warm” but not too hot for yeast to properly dissolve. Let sit until foamy.
- In a mixer with dough attachment, combine milk mixture, eggs (slightly beaten), yeast, salt, and 1/2 of flour and mix until smooth. Add in remaining flour, about 1/2 cup at a time. Stir until a smooth ball forms.
- On a floured surface, knead by hand for about 7 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for about 65 minutes.
- On same floured surface, punch down dough and shape in small 1-inch balls. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover again and let rise for about 35 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake rolls for about 20 minutes or until rolls are a nice golden brown. Remove from oven and use a pastry brush to cover each roll with butter. Lightly salt to taste before serving.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Ashley Schoenith @heirloomedblog.