Parmesan Corn Maque Choux
- 3 ears yellow corn
- 2 green peppers, seeded and halved
- 1 large sweet onion, halved
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Pinch powdered garlic
- Pinch red pepper flake
- 1 teaspoon (or more) fresh black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 diced vine ripened tomatoes
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rub corn, peppers, and onion with olive oil; sprinkle with salt. Sprinkle corn with sugar as well.
- On a baking sheet, broil corn, onions, and peppers at 400°F until charred and slightly bursting. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Remove corn from cob, and dice the onion and peppers.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter and cook peppers and onions for 5 minutes.
- Add corn and continue to cook for 3 more minutes. Add flour, making a roux, and stir until flour is light brown.
- Pour in chicken stock a little at a time, and season with salt, pepper, garlic and red pepper flakes. Allow to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Remove from heat. Top with diced tomatoes. Serve and enjoy.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Susan Whetzel @doughmesstic.