- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Making caramel for a flan is essential.
- First make caramel by placing sugar into a small to medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium heat and continuously stir sugar using a wooden spoon. The sugar will first become lumpy before it completely melts and has turned into caramel. This will take about 10 -15 minutes. Any small caramel lumps will melt away in the oven.
- Pour caramel into 9-inch glass baking dish. Carefully swirl around to evenly coat bottom and sides of pan.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl until well blended. Add both milks and vanilla extract. Pour flan mixture onto caramel. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Place dish onto a cookie sheet and pour hot water into cookie sheet, 3/4 full. This creates a water bath which is essential to obtain a smooth flan.
- Place in oven and bake until center of flan no longer trembles and is set, about 80-90 minutes.
- Once flan is thoroughly cooled, run a knife around the edges and carefully turn it upside down onto a serving dish.
Caramel can cause severe burns so work in a focused manner with nothing to distract you.