Pay de Limón Verde
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican Animal Cookies (or Maria Cookies) crumbs
- 3 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cups unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 packets (.25 oz each) unflavored gelatin
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup Mexican cream (or crème fraiche or heavy whipping cream)
- 10 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup green lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon green lemon zest
- 5 drops green food coloring (optional)
- Green lemon slices for decorating
- Mint leaves for decorating
- Whisk together cookie crumbs, dark brown sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add butter and stir to combine all ingredients. Mixture should resemble wet sand.
- Line bottom of a 9 X 3-inch springform pan with wax paper. Spray bottom and sides with nonstick cooking spray or brush with melted butter. Add cookie crumb mixture and press with a spatula or fingertips to make an even layer. Set aside.
- Whisk together water and gelatin in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine sweetened condensed milk, cream, cream cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a blender. Blend for 30 seconds, add food coloring (if using), and blend a second time for 45 seconds.
- Microwave water/gelatin mixture for 20 seconds or until runny. Add to blender and blend again for 45 seconds more or until mixed well. Immediately pour mixture into prepared springform pan.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours to overnight. Run a small knife along sides. Release springform pan, remove wax paper, and place it on a serving tray. Decorate with lemon slices and mint leaves. Slice and serve.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Ericka Sanchez @nibblesandfeasts.