Peach Bar Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, very cold
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peaches, defrosted
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons water
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- With exception of butter combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Grate butter on small eyes of a box grater (as you would grate cheese) directly onto dry ingredients. Toss non-grated butter in flour mixture if it becomes sticky.
- Gently toss grated butter evenly into flour mixture to distribute well. Use a firm whisk to break up butter into even small pieces and mixture resembles crumbles. Do not mix until solid dough forms. Set aside.
- For easiest removal from pan, line a 8 x 8 inch or 9 x 9 inch pan with parchment paper using 2 pieces of paper in a criss-cross pattern.
- Transfer 2/3 of dough into baking pan. Press crumbles onto bottom of pan and 1/3 inch up the sides. Press crumbles until it looks like solid dough.
- Cut frozen peaches in small pieces (each peach slice cut cross wise in about 8 pieces). Place in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl combine cornstarch, vanilla and water. Pour into boiling peach mixture and stir with a spoon until it boils and has thickened.
- Spread mixture onto dough in pan.
- Sprinkle with remaining crumbles and place in oven for about 35 minutes or until nicely golden.
- When cooled remove from pan and cut in desired size.
NOTE: For a South of France twist, add half teaspoon of dried and finely chopped lavender flowers to the peach mixture. Health food stores sell edible lavender in bulk.