- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup almond flour/meal
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, soft
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 cup peach fruit spread
- 1/4 cup strawberry fruit spread
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Mint leaves
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Sift flours and set aside.
- Cream butter until smooth, add powdered sugar and cream further. Add salt, vanilla and almond extract and mix until creamy.
- Add flour all at once and mix until just combined.
- If needed, refrigerate dough for about 30 minutes or until it is no longer too sticky to roll in balls.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper, silicone baking mats, or butter the sheets liberally.
- Take one tablespoon amounts of dough and shape into balls. Place on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake until very light golden, about 10-12 minutes. Let rest on pan for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool.
- On flat side of each cookie, make an indention using a paring knife so it can be filled with peach fruit spread later.
- Press 2 same size cookies together. Holding them both, cut a small sliver on bottom of cookies. This will make them easily stand up later without them rolling around. Keep these “pairs” of cookies together.
- Fill indentions with peach fruit spread and press pairs of cookies together.
- Heat strawberry fruit spread in a microwave oven until liquid. Brush a very thin coat of fruit spread on entire sandwiched cookies. Some parts will be slightly thicker which fruit spread which will give a natural appearance to cookies.
- Roll cookies in a thin coat of granulated sugar.
- After about 15 minutes, roll cookies in a second coat of granulated sugar.
- When ready to serve decorate with a mint leaf. Mint leaves wilt quickly and therefore do not decorate in advance of serving these cookies.