- 2 cups (240g) all-purpose flour*
- 12 tablespoons (170g) very cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (60g) water, very cold
- 5 large nearly ripe peaches (it’s a good idea to get extra)
- 1/4 cup (50g) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons (18g) corn starch
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (2g) dried ginger
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For crust, place flour in a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients and place in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Grate very cold butter on small eyes of grater (as you would grating cheese) directly into flour bowl. While grating, toss butter frequently into flour to prevent clumping.
- Add salt. Between palms of hand (without making mixture warm), quickly distribute butter evenly into flour.
- Add water and mix briefly just until dough forms. Dough should still have visible pieces of butter and appear to look undermixed. Press into a round dish about 6 inches in diameter. Place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Place a cookie sheet filled with ice cubes on area where you will roll dough. Set oven to 375°F.
- Prepare peaches by peeling 4 peaches (leave 5th peach with peel for visual appeal). Cut in half and twist peach. Remove pit. Cut each half in about 7 slices. Add sugar, corn starch, vanilla, and ginger in a bowl. Set aside.
- Dough will roll best on lightly floured parchment paper. Roll dough into a circle 12 inches in diameter. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Using a pizza cutter or sharp knife, evenly trim edges of rolled dough.
- Place peaches in center of dough. Fold dough in a fluted pattern towards center.
- To ensure that there will be no “dam break”, a strip of parchment paper can be tied around sides of crostata. Strips of parchment paper can be tied together to make a strip long enough to go around circumference of crostata.
- Brush dough with a thin coat of water and sprinkle thinly with granulated sugar, about 1 tablespoon.
- Place in oven, once crostata shows signs of golden color, remove parchment paper.
- Bake until crust is deep golden. Do not underbake to avoid soggy dough. Total baking time will be around 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.