Peach Jam and Almond Oatmeal Bars
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup peach preserves
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper, letting paper hang over sides.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Cream butter and both sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined. Add oats and mix until incorporated.
- Divide dough in half and press one half into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread jam over base. Crumble remaining dough over jam. Sprinkle almonds evenly over top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Use the paper to pull out of pan and let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Dixie Crystals Insight
We made our recipe with peach jam, but any flavor of jam would work just as well.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bree Hester @bakedbree.com.
It is a great recipe. I did make it vegan using vegan "butter" and a flax egg. I will certainly be making this again. I can't wait to try it with other fruits.