Peach Streusel Pie
- 1 9-inch Pure Butter Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 pounds fresh peaches (ripe, peeled and sliced = 6 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 2/3 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Streusel topping:
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour*
- 1/2 cup well packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter (very cold)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Peel peaches by plunging them into boiling water for a few minutes. Remove from water using a skimmer and drop into iced water. Rub peaches and remove skin. Cut in half and remove pit. Cut each half into 5-6 slices and place in a bowl large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Add both sugars, flour, lemon juice, salt, ginger and cinnamon.
- Mound filling into pie shell. Some size pie tins vary by amount they hold, so if all filling does not fit, transfer some to ramekins to make individual pies.
- Meanwhile, prepare crumble by combining flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. Using a cheese grater, grate very cold butter into small pieces directly onto flour mixture. Rub between your hands to turn streusel into small lumps and consequently into crumbles.
- Sprinkle streusel onto pie and place in oven lined with a sheet of aluminum foil for easy clean up, after 15 minutes reduce oven temperature to 340°F.
- Bake until thick visible bubbles have formed on edges of pie, indicating that pie filling has properly thickened juices, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. If pie gets too dark on surface cover it loosely with a sheet of aluminum foil. Placing pie on the bottom rack will also reduce surface color.
- Serve warm.