Peaches and Cream Cupcakes
- 2 large or 4 small peaches
- 214 grams (1 2/3 cups) all-purpose flour*
- 198 grams (1 cup) Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 28 grams (1 oz) freeze-dried peaches, crushed into fine powder (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 240 grams (1 cup) heavy whipping cream
- 110 grams (1 cup) Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 14 grams (1/2 ounce) freeze-dried peaches, crushed into fine powder
- 16 peach slices
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line muffin pans with 16 cupcake wrappers. Set aside.
- Wash and peel peaches. Cut into 1/4-inch pieces.
- Measure 1 1/2 cups of diced peaches and enjoy any extra as a snack.
- Set two layers of paper towels on counter. Spread peaches out on paper towels. Place two layers of paper towels over peaches and gently press to soak up any liquid.
- Repeat process using clean and dry paper towels two more times to dry peaches. This drying process will keep your cupcakes from being too wet.
- Toss peaches with about 3 tablespoons of flour. This will keep them from sinking to bottom of cupcakes while baking.
- Combine remaining flour, sugar, freeze-dried peach powder, baking powder, and salt in bowl of a stand mixer or in a large mixing bowl.
- Blend for a few seconds to mix ingredients.
- Add eggs, softened butter, room temperature sour cream, and vanilla extract.
- Beat on low speed for 10 seconds, then increase speed to medium and beat for 30 seconds just until creamy.
- Use a silicone spatula or wooden spoon to mix any flour that isn’t incorporated into batter.
- Fold diced peaches into cupcake batter.
- Equally divide batter into 16 cupcake wrappers using a #16 scoop or a 1/4 measuring cup.
- Bake for 22-26 minutes until cupcakes spring back when pressed in center.
- Remove cupcakes from pans and set on a cooling rack.
- Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- For Whipped Cream Frosting, make it day you plan to serve your cupcakes.
- Pour heavy whipping cream into a mixing bowl and beat just until frothy.
- Sift powdered sugar over cream, then beat on medium-low speed until combined.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Turn mixer up to high speed and beat just until thickened.
- Reserve 1/2 teaspoon of crushed freeze-dried peaches to sprinkle over top of cupcakes.
- Add remaining freeze-dried peach powder to whipped cream.
- Beat until frosting holds stiff peaks but no more or your frosting will turn to butter.
- Spoon frosting into a large pastry bag fitted with a large open star pastry tip (1M).
- Pipe a big swirl of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Sprinkle reserved freeze-dried peach powder over cupcakes.
- If desired, top cupcakes with a peach slice.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe created for Dixie Crystals by Beth Jackson Klosterboer @Hungry Happenings.