- Liberally coat a 9x13-inch baking sheet with butter or cover entirely with a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large, non-stick saucepan, bring water to a boil and then stir in sugar until dissolved.
- Next, stir in corn syrup, peanuts, and salt. Using a candy thermometer, cook syrup, stirring occasionally, to the hard crack stage (300°F).
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and baking soda. Carefully pour onto prepared baking sheet. Spread mixture rapidly with spatula.
- Once cool, crack into chunks. Store in tightly covered containers.