Peanut Butter and Jelly Macarons
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 cup grape jelly
- For Purple Macarons, in a large bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and almond flour until no lumps remain.
- Combine room temperature egg whites and pinch of salt in bowl of an electric mixer.
- Whip egg whites until white and foamy.
- Slowly add in 1/4 cup granulated sugar and increase speed to high.
- Set timer for 15 minutes and let egg whites whip on high until stiff peaks form.
- Whip in 3-4 drops light purple food color.
- Using a rubber spatula gently fold almond flour/powdered sugar mixture into whipped egg whites.
- Slowly fold and mix until batter is smooth. Batter is ready when it "melts" when drizzled on top of itself like hot lava.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or use a macaron baking mat.
- Fill a piping bag with batter, snip end.
- Pipe 1.5-inch circles onto the baking sheet, leaving 1-inch space between each macaron.
- Tap baking sheet onto counter to remove air bubbles.
- Let macarons sit at room temperature 1 hour before baking.
- For Brown Macarons, repeat steps 1-13 above, replacing the purple food color with brown food coloring.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until they are matte looking and dry to touch. Test 1 macaron by lifting it gently from baking sheet. If bottom tears apart, bake for 3-5 more minutes and test again.
- Remove from oven and allow macarons to cool completely on baking sheet.
- Let macarons cool completely before filling.
- For filling, add peanut butter to a medium bowl, mix in powdered sugar until combined. Add in milk 1 tablespoon at a time and mix to make smoother.
- Pipe peanut butter filling in a ring onto flat surfaces of 1/2 of macarons. Fill centers of each macaron with 1/4 teaspoon of grape jelly.
- Sandwich macarons bottoms with macaron tops.
- Best if stored in an airtight container in refrigerator.