Pear Dulce de Leche Empanadas
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- For pear filling, to a saucepan add diced pears, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until sugar has dissolved and pears are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool.
- For empanada dough, in a food processor add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pulse to combine. Add shortening and pulse to combine.
- Slowly add milk, process until dough comes together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead until smooth.
- Cover and let rest 30 minutes in refrigerator before using.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out chilled dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Using a drinking glass, cut out round disc shapes for empanadas.
- Spoon pear filling in center of each empanada disc.
- Fold, seal with a fork along the edge and then place on a baking sheet.
- Brush with egg.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- To serve, dust with powdered sugar and drizzle with dulce de leche.