Pears in Ginger Syrup
- 6 Bartlett pears, ripe but still firm to the touch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 1/4 cups water
- 6-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 star anise, optional
- Prepare boiling water bath canner.
- Prepare pears by peeling, coring, and quartering them. Place pears in a big bowl. To prevent browning, gently toss them in lemon juice.
- Combine sugar, water, and sliced ginger in a stainless steel pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to low and keep warm until needed, taking care not to boil syrup down.
- Divide pears between 4 sterilized pint size jars. Make sure jars are warm when you fill them. Alternately you could place them in a large pot of barely simmering water until ready to fill.
- If using, place 1 star anise in each jar. Equally divide ginger pieces and ginger syrup between jars leaving 1/4-inch head space.
- Clean rims with a clean, wet paper towel. Center lids on jars. Apply bands until they fit fingertip tight. Place jars in water bath canner.
- Process pint jars in a boiling water canner for 20 minutes. Remove jars and place on a clean tea towel on counter for 24 hours.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Kelley Epstein @Mountain Mama Cooks.
To keep jars warm, you can sterilize them in the dishwasher and pull them warm from the dishwasher when ready to start.