Pecan Crusted Butterscotch Pie with Salted Butterscotch Sauce
- Pecan Crust
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour*
- Butterscotch Filling
- 2 cans (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup well packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 5 large egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- Butterscotch Sauce
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Milk Chocolate Shavings
- 1- 4 ounce milk chocolate bar
- Crème Chantilly
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven temperature to 350°F.
- Cream butter until smooth, add powdered sugar and cream further. Add egg yolk, vanilla and salt, mix until well combined but not light and fluffy.
- Combine flour and pecan pieces in a food processor and mix until pecans are chopped finely (slightly coarser than corn meal).
- Add pecan- flour mixture in one step to creamed mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Press dough flat on a plastic food film lined cookie sheet and chill in the refrigerator until firm enough to roll. About 1 hour or leave overnight.
- This dough tends to become soft very quickly during rolling. Tip: place 2 cookie sheets filled with ice cubes on the area where you will be rolling dough. This will keep dough longer cool and make it easier to work. Using the least amount of flour during rolling will give the most delectable result.
- Turn on oven. Sprinkle the work surface with a small amount of flour and roll dough in a circle and large enough to cover entire pie. If the dough cracks it can be easily pressed together in the pie tin without any problems. Cut away overhanging pie crust. Keep any leftover dough aside.
- Place in oven and keep an eye on the baking process. After approximately 6-8 minutes prick the dough with a fork to prevent air bubbles in crust. If a crack develops press some raw dough in that area.
- Bake until light golden, about 18-22 minutes, remove from oven and let cool.
- To make filling whisk evaporated milk, 1/2 cup of brown sugar and salt to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks and cornstarch together. Add about a half cup of boiled milk mixture and whisk rapidly. Add remaining brown sugar to yolk mixture and whisk vigorously. Pour mixture into boiled milk and whisk to a boil. Whisk until mixture has thickened and makes thick bubbles. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and butter and when well combined pour filling into pie shell. Cover with plastic food wrap and place in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile prepare butterscotch sauce by combining brown sugar, cream and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- To make chocolate shavings place chocolate bar in a warm place for about 30 minutes. Run a paring knife on the surface to create shavings or use a vegetable peeler and make curls.
- Finish pie with crème Chantilly, chocolate shavings and butterscotch sauce.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments