Pecan Pie Truffles
- 2 1/2 cups pecans, pulsed into crumbs with food processor
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 8 graham crackers)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup bourbon (or orange juice for a non-alcoholic version)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon coconut or vegetable oil
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- Flaky sea salt, optional topping
- Pecan pieces, optional topping
- Using a food processor, combine pecans and graham crackers. Pulse until a fine mixture is created. Move to a large bowl and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine unsalted butter, dark brown sugar, salt, maple syrup, bourbon (or orange juice), cinnamon, and vanilla. Over medium heat, stirring frequently until all sugar is melted, about 5 minutes. Careful not to burn.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Next, add sugar mixture to pecan and graham cracker crumbs. Using a spatula and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop mixture into your hands and roll into balls. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Freeze for 2 hours.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add oil and chocolate. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring thoroughly between each interval. This typically takes about 90 seconds depending on strength of your microwave. Be careful to not burn chocolate.
- Quickly dip truffles one at a time into chocolate, remove and place back on cookie sheet. Top with flaky sea salt and/or a piece of chopped pecan, if desired.
- Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes for chocolate to harden before serving.
- Store in an airtight container for up a week.
Cooking bourbon with sugar will burn off alcohol, leaving flavor. If you prefer a more boozy truffle, do not cook bourbon with sugar and add bourbon to crumb mixture after sugar has cooled some.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jessica Segarra @TheNoviceChef.