Pecan Praline Apple Pie
Pecan Praline Topping
- 1/2 cup firmly packed Dixie Crystals Dark Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare or thaw a 9-inch pie crust and place on foil lined cookie tray for easy clean up after baking. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon and salt.
- Peel and quarter apples and thinly slice each quarter into 5-6 slices, cut each slice crosswise in half. Toss in sugar mixture to prevent browning of apples. Once all apples are incorporated, add flour to mixture.
- Arrange apple filling in a huge dome shape in middle of piecrust. It will seem like a too much filling but try to use as much as possible because pie will settle after baking. Melt butter and pour over apple filling.
- Place a piece of aluminum foil lightly over pie and place in oven.
- Bake until apple filling makes thick bubbles (consistency of honey) which are visibly dripping out of pie, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- If desired, create decorative leaves using left over pie dough and place on a cookie sheet. Using a paring knife, carve veins into each leaf. Brush leaves lightly with water and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake in oven until golden, about 10-15 minutes. Set aside to cool while preparing topping.
- To prepare pecan praline topping: In a saucepan, combine all remaining ingredients, excluding pecans. Boil for 2-3 minutes on medium heat ensuring that mixture does not boil over. Remove from heat and stir in pecans. Set aside until pie is to be served. This topping may be reheated when needed.
- Chef Eddy recommends that pie be sliced and placed on individual plates before reheating pecan topping. Heat topping until lukewarm and scrape onto baked pie slices.
- Decorate slices with a baked pie leaf, if desired.