Piña Colada Cake
- 2 cups cake flour*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 8 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup + 3/4 cup sweetened coconut
- Rum Moistening Syrup
- 6 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons white or light Rum
- 1 pound (4 ounce can) pineapple slices in juice
- Frosting Crème Chantilly
- 2 cups (16 ounces) heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour two 8 or 9 inch baking pans and set aside.
- Sift together flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Mix butter until creamy and smooth. Add sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add one egg yolk at a time and mix well between each (at least 45 seconds).
- Add salt, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Add 1/3 of flour and mix until combined. Add half of buttermilk and mix until smooth. Add another 1/3 of flour and mix smooth. Add remaining buttermilk and once combined add remaining flour. Add first amount (1/2 cup) of coconut.
- Divide batter into pans and place in oven and bake for 25-28 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- Remove from oven and turn upside down after 5 minutes of cooling.
- Spread coconut on cookie sheet and place in oven, toast evenly golden.
- To make syrup bring sugar and water to full boil and remove from heat. Place pan in ice water to completely chill. Add Rum and set aside.
- Drain pineapple, cut half of the amount in small pieces and set aside. Retain slices.
- Continue following steps when cake is at room temperature:
- Place one cake layer on a serving tray. Using a pastry brush moisten cake layer with half of Rum syrup. Spread cut pineapple onto cake.
- In a cold bowl whip whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Spread a half inch layer of whipped cream onto cake layer.
- Place second cake layer on top and moisten with remaining syrup. Spread whipped cream on surface and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle with toasted but cooled coconut. Decorate with pineapple slices.
NOTE: For a non-alcoholic moistening syrup replace both water and rum with pineapple juice in same amounts listed in ingredients section.