- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- To make the pineapple preserves, add pineapple pieces to a blender. Blend until a chunky consistency forms. Do not puree.
- Combine pineapple, water sugar, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer frequently stirring, for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Transfer to a large jar with lid to store.
- To make brocas, preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray or grease with butter.
- Sprinkle some flour on a working surface. Roll out puff pastry sheets to 11 X 14 rectangles. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar evenly on bottom half of pastry sheets.
- Press sugar into dough with your hand. Add 1/3 cup of pineapple preserves on each half of each sheet and spread evenly. Fold over top half of sheets to cover side with preserves. Trim any uneven edges with knife or pizza cutter.
- Slice 1 1/2-inch strips of folded dough and twist loosely. Dough should look like a corkscrew.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining strips. Sprinkle remaining granulated sugar over dough twists.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Transfer to a serving dish and dust with confectioner’s sugar. Serve.
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Ericka Sanchez @nibblesandfeasts.