Pineapple Coconut Bars
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple in 100% juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Crust and Crumble
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar, packed
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place sugar, cornstarch, and salt in saucepan. Whisk together. Stir in crushed pineapple and lemon juice.
- Heat over low-medium heat, stirring constantly until thickened. This will take about 8 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Beat butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add egg yolks, vanilla extract, coconut extract, and salt. Mix in.
- Add flour and mix until a soft dough forms. Pour in shredded coconut and use a fork to mix it in gently.
- Press 2/3 of dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes. Remove and let crust cool 10 minutes.
- Spread cooled pineapple filling evenly over crust. Crumble remaining dough over top of filling. Bake another 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Remove and let cool completely on counter. Cut into bars and serve. Refrigerate bars if they are not being served that day.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Jocelyn Brubaker @InsideBruCrewLife.