Pineapple Coconut Braid
- 1/2 package puff pastry (10 x 15-inch sheets)
- 1 bag (7 oz) unsweetened coconut flakes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, very soft
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 pineapple slices, patted dry
- Defrost puff pastry preferably in a refrigerator or according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For coconut filling place coconut in a food processor. Pulse until coconut is about half or a quarter the size of a grain of uncooked rice. Set aside.
- Mix butter until fluffy. Add sugar and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Add one egg and mix until completely blended in. Add remaining egg and mix until fluffy and light. (Mixture will look slightly curdled).
- Add vanilla extract followed by coconut. Set aside.
- Gently unfold puff pastry sheet onto a cold work surface. Place it vertically like a sheet of paper in front of you.
- In center and between 2 folds of dough spread coconut cream evenly over puff pastry sheet. Place 4 pineapple slices onto coconut cream.
- On both sides, using a knife, cut slanted slits, 1/2 inch apart about 1 inch away from coconut mixture.
- From left to right braid puff pastry overlapping each other.
- Brush a thin layer of beaten egg on puff pastry. (Optional, but will provide a light sheen.)
- Place in oven, total baking time will be about 70-75 minutes. Braid needs to be deep golden as puff pastry is not delicious when under baked.
- If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar.