Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake
Bundt Cake Topping
- 3 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup packed Dixie Crystals Light Brown Sugar
- 1 can (20 oz) sliced pineapple rings in juice
- Maraschino cherries, halved
Pineapple Upside-Down Bundt Cake
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/3 cup reserved pineapple juice
- *Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease Bundt pan with shortening, paying special attention to center and upper half.
- Pour melted butter into pan and brush about halfway up sides. Remaining butter will pool in bottom of pan. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup for cake. Place whole rings of pineapple along bottom of pan on top of butter/brown sugar.
- Slice remaining rings in half, placing one row of halved pineapple rings against pan in an arch over where whole rings meet. You’ll have a ring of whole pineapple circles on bottom and one row of half circles lining outsides of pan just above. Place a halved cherry in each opening, cut side facing in.
- Whisk flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla bean paste. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping bottom and sides of bowl as needed.
- Stir together milk and reserved pineapple juice. On low speed, add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with milk/pineapple juice. Mix just until combined.
- Pour into prepared pan, taking care not to disturb pineapple rings and cherries. Bake for 65-75 minutes or until cake bounces back when lightly touched or a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Let rest in pan for 3-5 minutes. Do not wait longer than this, as top will stick. Invert a cooling rack onto top of pan and flip. If cake does not release immediately, give it a few firm shakes while upside-down and let gravity do its work. Remove pan.
- Let cool completely. Use a serrated knife to cut through pineapple cleanly.
Dixie Crystals Insight
Recipe developed for Dixie Crystals by Bridget Edwards @Bake at 350.
Rate & Review
Log in or Register to post comments