Pink Grapefruit Bars
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, very cold
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 1 pink grapefruit
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 2 pink grapefruits, only very top layer and no white bitter pith
- 1 cup grapefruit juice
- 2 lemons
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour*
- 6 drops pink food color
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 340°F.
- Set aside a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. For easy removal, line pan with parchment paper which overhangs on sides. Set aside.
- Place flour in mixing bowl. Grate cold butter on small eyes of box grater directly into flour. Add powdered sugar, salt, zest, and vanilla.
- Toss with your hands until mixture looks like coarse meal and nearly starts to form dough. Set aside 4 tablespoons of dough (very important!) and press remaining amount firmly onto bottom of pan.
- Place in oven and bake until golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- In areas where gaps between dough and sides developed, press a small amount of dough in gaps. This is especially important to prevent grapefruit mixture from seeping underneath crust.
- Place grapefruit juice and zest in a non-reactive saucepan and reduce to 1/2 cup. Add juice of lemons to obtain a total of 2/3 cup of juice. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl until completely combined. Add sugar and quickly whisk together. Add grapefruit juice, salt, flour and whisk until completely smooth. Add 6 drops pink food coloring and mix until color is evenly distributed.
- Pour onto pre-baked dough and return to oven. Reduce heat to 330°F and bake until center of curd has set, about 30 minutes.
- Let completely cool in refrigerator or freezer. Bars will freeze very well and are easier to cut precisely when frozen.
- Cut with a sharp knife and sprinkle with Confectioners Powdered sugar.