Pistachio Cherry Sandwich Cookies
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, soft
- 1 1/4 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons cherry flavor extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries with cherry flavor or dried cherries (dried cherries will not be as vibrant red)
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon pistachio or almond extract
- Green food color (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios (salted or non-salted)
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Mix butter until light and fluffy, add sugar followed by 1egg, once incorporated well and mixture is smooth add remaining egg.
- Add cherry flavor and salt and mix until light and creamy.
- Add dry ingredients and mix very briefly until just combined.
- To make perfectly round cookies chill dough in freezer for 20-30 minutes and then make tablespoon sized balls.
- Place on parchment lined cookies sheets and flatten to 1/4 inch thick disks and place in oven until very light golden on edges.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Make filling by creaming butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and gradually beat in milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Granulated sugar will slowly melt away and will make a very smooth and creamy buttercream.
- Add flavoring.
- Spread or pipe filling with a medium piping tip onto half of baked cookie halves. Sprinkle with pistachio pieces and sandwich together.