Plum Cobbler with Sour Cream Biscuits
- Plum Cobbler
- 8 black plums, fresh
- 1/2 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Sour Cream Biscuits
- 1 cup all-purpose flour*
- 2 tablespoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, very cold
- 1/2 cup sour cream
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut plums in half and remove pit. Cut each plum half in 4 slices and place in a bowl.
- Mix sugar and cornstarch and add to plums, toss to combine. Add vanilla and lemon juice and transfer into an 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- For biscuits, sift together flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a grater, grate cold butter onto large eyes of grater directly into flour mixture. Toss around.
- Add sour cream and toss/stir using a large spoon. Mix until it barely makes dough. Do overly press it together as it otherwise would make tough biscuits.
- Press dough about 1/2-inch thick onto a lightly floured surface and cut using a round cutter of approximately 1 1/2-inch in diameter.
- Arrange on plum mixture and place in oven.
- Bake until the topping is golden, about 40 minutes.
- Serve warm and top with homemade vanilla ice cream, if desired.